The Past: I may have left Colorado behind, but the memories of clear skies and long drives will never leave me:
… at least until my next visit.
I started THIH nearly a year ago. I now have man hands from the strain of prolific typing. But, reflections on the origins of THIH must wait another three weeks(!) For now, I am reminded by Nicole to check out the top search terms leading to this blog. I won’t be tailoring my posts to the search results in the future; instead, I’ll be having a hearty guffaw at some of the more obscure search terms in the present. From March 15, 2010 to December 30, 2010, exempli gratia:
* The top search term: “thehappinessinhealth”. Thanks to the 900+ visitors who found my site this way!
* “Why does my foot roll when I walk” – I’m guessing the 124 people who searched for this phrase found this post, although I’m sad to say I never actually found a solution to foot rolls. Great job giving your readers what they want, Jessie! I hope the readers were at least impressed by my on-the-fly calculation of running force.
* “Saratoga Peanut Butter Company” – I’ve never made a secret of my love for this company’s peanut butter. Now the 122 people who found my site through Google know it, too.
* “Should I eat one brazil nut a day” – various incarnations of this phrase appeared countless times. I hope the searchers found the information they wanted in my Brazil nut post. I’ve also received the most emails about this post. Maybe people REALLY like Brazil nuts?
* “zucchini cartoon” – to those 20 people, don’t let your veggies get lonely!
* “Happy Jessie” – 52 people 😀
* “how to shave a reluctant cat” – 8 people. Does the first picture in this post satisfy?
* “dietitian awesome” – to those 6 people: I agree!
The Present: while I eagerly await my copy of Denise‘s Quickies: Morning, Noon and Night, I decided to try one of Denise’s recipes that I’ve had bookmarked for a long time: Apple, Bacon and Onion Galette.
I’m not sure why I decided to use my old camera to take the pictures above. Notwithstanding its appearance, this galette was DELICIOUS! I made two and ate both in as many days. Just picture me standing above the stove, shoveling spoonfuls of syrupy apples and browned onions into my mouth, and you will understand how much I loved this recipe.
The Future: I’ve never been much of a resolution maker. Instead, I’ve always felt as though I can make positive life “adjustments” all year ’round. A few of the ongoing “adjustments” in my life:
* Spend more time with family and friends.
* Enjoy (almost) every bite (no pressure, mind).
* Take a cue from Peter and R-E-L-A-X. Chill, yo.
* Live more by the phrase “what would you do if you knew you could not fail?”, a.k.a. have COURAGE.
A few more tangible items:
* Write blog posts ONLY when I want to.
* Increase my exercise repertoire: more strength-training and other forms of cardio (besides running).
* Have fun with my new camera!
Usually, I encourage people to incorporate time frames into their goals, such as “do blah-de-blah 3X per week to achieve blahblahblah goal within blaaaah amount of time”, but I find that I do best with looser goals that allow me to be flexible, rather than controlling. Feel free to take your time and find the goal-setting method that works for you.
Happy New Year! Peace Out.
Q: Do you have any New Year’s Eve/Day plans?
Any goals for the new year?